Bags For Life
- We use between 500 billon to 1 trillion plastic bags in the world every year.
- Around 1 million sea birds and 100,000 sea mammals die due to plastics in the ocean every year.
- Plastic bags have even been found in the Arctic and near the Falkland Islands.
- Less than 1% of plastic bags are recycled in the world. Recycling 1 ton costs $4,000, the same amount is sold as raw material for $32.
- It takes 1,000 years for a plastic bag to break down in the environment.
- 34 countries have banned or taxed plastic bags.
Consumers should be using reusable bags as they have less impact on the environment. Our Bags for Life are durable, pollute less and last longer than disposable plastic bags which have on average a use life of only 20 minutes. The bags are available at both our offices, in different grocery stores throughout the island, and in veggie trucks in West End.
As part of our education program, children are being taught about proper garbage disposal and the 3 R’s, Reducing, Reusing and Recycling. Over 1,000 bags have been given out to children in schools for them to draw their favorite reef animal on the back, use it and re-use it!